Tag Archive: Blender

Fix Blender error amdgpu_query_info failed (-9)

After a downgrade of libdrm, Blender works like a charm.

After a downgrade of libdrm, Blender works like a charm.

Since I switched to Arch Linux with the xf86-video-amdgpu graphics driver for my AMD RX 570, blender crashes immediately after start. Also running as root or reinstalling the drivers didn’t help.

This error message occurs:

~ $ blender
amdgpu_device_initialize: amdgpu_query_info(ACCEL_WORKING) failed (-9)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

If we look at the dump (either in /tmp/bmw27_gpu.crash.txt or /tmp/blender.crash.txt), it looks something like this:

# Blender 2.79 (sub 0), Commit date: 2018-05-26 21:51, Hash 32432d91bbe

# backtrace
blender(BLI_system_backtrace+0x34) [0x5607730d03f4]
blender(+0xb7b562) [0x56077265c562]
/usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x37e00) [0x7f5b39807e00]
/usr/lib/libdrm_amdgpo.so.1(amdgpu_get_marketing_name+0xc) [0x7f5afcb35bdf] [...weitere Zeilen...]
(complete dump: pastebin)

The solution

The solution comes from a StackExchange user, who suggests a downgrade on the libdrm to version 2.4.93-1.

In Arch I just used the tool downgrade to do so:

  1. Install from the AUR with e.g. yay -S downgrade
  2. Find available versions: downgrade libdrm
  3. Pick a version and downgrade to it (for me 2.4.93-1 worked)

After that, everything worked like a charm.